Evidence in Governance and Politics (EGAP) is a research, evaluation, and learning network with worldwide reach that promotes rigorous knowledge accumulation, innovation, and evidence-based policy in various governance domains, including accountability, political participation, mitigation of societal conflict, and reducing inequality. It does so by fostering academic-practitioner collaborations, developing tools and methods for analytical rigor, and training academics and practitioners alike, with an intensive focus in the Global South. For more information about our work, visit egap.org.
EGAP seeks to expand its capacity for global research exchange through the establishment of regional hubs. Under this model, EGAP's activities will allow for locally rooted scholars to identify local priorities, set the research agenda, share knowledge and foster collaboration across regions. EGAP has developed partnerships with universities over the past decade to co-host regionally focused events, including EGAP meetings, policy fora, and Learning Days workshops. The regional hubs are a way to institutionalize such activities, and will serve two functions: 1) replicate EGAP's global work on a regional level in order to make EGAP's model of collaborative research available to more participants; 2) function as hubs for interregional exchange. In conjunction with EGAP's headquarters, the regional hubs will coordinate and facilitate exchange across multiple regions. Similar to EGAP's Metaketa research model, EGAP sees the potential to generalize ideas globally insofar as research initiatives address priorities that are salient across multiple regions.
In partnership with Universidad de los Andes, in Bogota, Colombia, EGAP seeks a Program Officer to oversee activities in the Latin American regional hub. The Program Officer will support the EGAP member/senior researcher in the development of an academic advisory group composed of leaders of social science research centers and fora embedded in academic, government, and civil society organizations. He/she/they will facilitate regional hub activities, including research design feedback, methodological activities, and training workshops. In addition, the Program Officer will be responsible for organizing policy events to share recent research to inform evidence-based programming, foster partnerships between researchers and policymakers, and expand efforts to disseminate publications to relevant audiences in Latin America. The Program Officer will be responsible for organizing online and in-person events, including regional EGAP membership meetings, Learning Days workshops, and policy fora and develop opportunities for additional events of regional and cross-regional relevance.
The position is 50% full time for five months, with the possibility of transitioning to 100% full time pending funding availability. The position will be based at the Universidad de los Andes, Bogota, Colombia in the Department of Economics and report to the senior EGAP researchers and faculty members (Leopoldo Fergusson and Andrés Moya) with a dotted reporting line to the EGAP Secretariat at UC Berkeley. Additionally, he/she/they will work regularly with EGAP staff based at the University of California, Berkeley, and in New York, NY.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the establishment of a regional EGAP hub at the university, in conjunction with EGAP staff at UC Berkeley and Universidad de los Andes
- Support the EGAP senior researcher/faculty in establishing the academic advisory group and activities
- Event planning: organize feedback sessions at EGAP regional membership meetings, Learning Days training workshops, policy events, administer regional research grants, and other activities
- Contribute to EGAP website and other written materials on Latin American hub activities
- Contribute to joint grant proposals with EGAP HQ and administer grants at the regional hub
- Financial and grant management: oversee financial payments, contribute to reporting requirements, and other administrative duties
Requirements for the Position
- Master’s Degree in Political Science, Economics, Public Policy, International Affairs, or other related degree
- Spanish and English fluency
- Experience working with a variety of stakeholders, including academic researchers, policymakers, practitioners, civil society organizations, and other relevant stakeholders in the governance field
- Experience in event planning, such as policy events and training workshops
- Experience in grant and financial management
- Knowledge of experimental research methods and social science research in governance innovations
The program officer will employed by Universidad de los Andes through a formal labor contract, half-time for 5 months, with all payments of social benefits, in accordance with Colombian legislation. Appointment can be extended beyond the initial period conditional on funding availability.
The position can be remote for the initial 5-month period, but will be based at Universidad de los Andes in Bogota if extended.
Deadline for application: May 17, 2021